What Does '925 Silver' Mean?

What Does '925 Silver' Mean?

If you've shopped for silver jewelry, you've likely come across the term "925 silver," but what does it mean? Simply put, 925 silver is a type of sterling silver that is made up of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals, usually copper. The term "sterling silver" is used to describe any silver alloy that contains at least 92.5% silver, with the remaining 7.5% made up of other metals. The inclusion of these other metals gives the silver added strength and durability, making it suitable for use in jewelry and other decorative items.

The use of 925 silver dates back to the Middle Ages, when silver was used to make coins and other objects of value. The use of sterling silver spread throughout Europe and eventually became the standard for silver in the United States as well. The 925 standard was established to ensure that silver objects were of a certain purity and quality, and it is still used today as a mark of quality for silver jewelry and other items.

One of the main advantages of 925 silver is its versatility. It can be molded and shaped into a wide variety of forms, making it a popular choice for use in jewelry. It is also relatively affordable compared to other precious metals, making it accessible to a wide range of consumers. In addition to its use in jewelry, 925 silver is also used in a variety of other applications, such as in the production of silverware, decorative objects, and even electronic components.

To prevent tarnishing, it is important to take proper care of your 925 silver jewelry. This includes storing it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, and keeping it away from chemicals and other substances that may cause it to tarnish. It is also a good idea to clean your silver jewelry regularly using a mild soap and water, and to dry it thoroughly after cleaning to prevent tarnish from forming.

Click to shop our '925 silver' pieces!

In conclusion, 925 silver is a type of sterling silver that is made up of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals. It is a popular choice for use in jewelry due to its versatility and affordability, but it is prone to tarnishing over time. Proper care and maintenance can help to prevent tarnish and keep your silver jewelry looking its best.

Back to blog